Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Unmentioned Benefits of Being a Teacher

I'm sure many of us have seen Taylor Mali's Slam Poetry on "What Teachers Make." He speaks about how teaching is far more that just a salary. I am positive that almost anyone who watches his video is moved and inspired by what he says.

About a year ago when I was perusing a book store, I found a book titled "What Teachers Make: In Praise of the Greatest Job in the World" by Taylor Mali. I was so ecstatic to find his book because I had seen his video many times. I bought the book and read it in a day! If you thought the videos were good, wait until you read his writing and more of his poems inspired by things like teachable moments, challenges and breakthroughs of being a teacher and writings of funny student remarks and memorable moments that assured him he was a teacher for the right reasons. He writes his book in such a way that you feel you are sitting in a coffee shop next to him carrying on a conversation

One of the chapters of his books is about What Teachers Get. These are the benefits that professors often do not teach us about when becoming a teacher. These are the benefits that warm your heart; it's the little things.

Taylor Mali writes,
"No one becomes a teacher to get rich. Anyone who chooses to enter this profession does so for other reasons, most of which are priceless (either because no amount of money can purchase them or because they are utterly without monetary value). Hilarious misspellings, thank-you notes years later, confessions of tipsy parents at holiday parties, and the laughter of children: these are some of the lucrative benefits that are never mentioned in anyone's contract. And, of course, there are the holiday presents.

The little things are what make our hearts smile everyday! I have countless memories from internship of things kids say, do and give to you. Here are a few of my stories that make my experience so rewarding.

In the fall, as I was teaching about Thanksgiving and how many people will say what they are thankful for or a prayer at the dinner table, I asked, "What is something we might say then at Thanksgiving table?" to a group of kindergarten, grade one and two students. The first hand shot up and answered with "Please pass the turkey?" 

One day the Grade 2's journal prompt was "When I grow up..." This is what he wrote: (if this isn't the best thing you've ever read, I don't know what is!)
When I am a grown up I will find a girlfriend and I would
cook supper for her and I would drive her to work.
It was the continuous support from parents and gaurdians that warmed my heart. Whether is was them thanking me for becoming a teacher or acknowledging me for doing a good job teaching their child. 

I loved all the drawings I got from the children, I can't see myself throwing them away. I've created a binder of all the drawings and sweet things my students made for me! 

It's the funny stories the children will tell you about what happened the night before or over the weekend. It's the funny things kids say like, "Miss Leurer, I think that you are secretly a princess because your hair looks pretty today." or, "Miss Leurer, I just gave myself a wedgie. Wanna see?"

It was the thirty individual hugs and hand drawn pictures I received after returning from my grandpa's funeral.

These are the things that you cannot get anywhere else. These are the precious moments and memories you can only get by being a teacher. They are absolutely priceless! 

If you haven't already, I would recommend you get this book. It is compelling, thoughtful, and a little bit emotional. 

I would also like to hear some of your stories in the comments about things children may have said or done through your experience! 

3 comments:

  1. Those memories and cards are the things we need to remember for the days that are dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those interesting thoughts that come from students are always the best. I remember an answer on a worksheet describing "love is when you lick someone", or "a good relationship is when a boy and girl love each other and get married".
    I don't know any other profession that gets the joy of experiencing these messages from young minds. I love sharing these experiences with others who can share in my excitement of these experiences. These are the gifts that I will treasure.
    Even on the last day of internship I received many gifts from my students, yet one of the ones I remember the most was a Christmas card signed by a student. The student would be considered by most one of the "troubled" students in the classroom with a lot of lived experiences. It was a card he had signed to give to me. There wasn't a gift card or any materialistic gift included, yet it made me smile and warm inside that he did that for me. When I opened it, all the students asked "what is it, what is it?" and I said it was a card signed for me, to which one student responded "That's it, it's just a card?" To which I explained it's the thought that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the above comments! Its these benefits that make me want to continue on in Education/Teaching. I keep all my gifts from students in a box!

    During internship one of the students asked me what I used to collect when I was younger. I told her that I used to collect rocks! Needless to say...I came to school the next day with a pile of rocks on my desk! So cute.

    ReplyDelete