Thursday, January 31, 2013

Tech Task #3 - Connecting through ETMOOC Webinar

The last portion of Tech Task #3 is to attend a webinar or twitter chat. I decided to attend an ETMOOC webinar, but failed horribly at it the first few times! I had some problems with the time differences and I actually wasn't able to attend a live one, so I found that they archive the webinar, so I watched it pretty well just after the session was over. 

I tuned into Student Blogging: Getting the most out of blogging with your students by @suewaters. I am glad I tuned into this sessions because it was one that I feel interested me the most! 

She began by speaking about edublogs.org. It is basically a blog hosting site where you can create blogs for your classroom and students. Here is her website, TheEduBlogger, where she talks about Educational Blogging and resources. A great website to subscribe to! 



She talked about getting the students  blogs set up when they are ready to have blog opposed to just throwing them into it. You also need to set up a scaffolding for them to become independent learners with their blogs. There also needs to be family involvement, creating connections with the rest of the world and connected to the curriculum. 

Sue went on to talk about Digital Footprints and talked about never using full names of students (which is important) and also to educate the family on it so that they are able to understand. Someone in the chat posted this video and gets you thinking about where your Digital Footprint comes from.



The session goes on with lots more wonderful information about student blogging, so I don't want to give it all away, but I encourage you all to watch the session yourself, especially if you are wanting to set up student blogs. Here is where you can watch it: T1S7 - Blogging with Students. You can also check out other sessions that have been recorded where there are also really good discussions. 

I enjoy the ETMOOC sessions as it gives me the opportunity to learn so much from others while sitting at home on the couch. They discuss many great topics that are important to educators. 

No comments:

Post a Comment