Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Tech Task #10 - Best Ideas

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend this session live, however I watched the recording and found three wonderful presenters who I learned a lot from. I enjoyed the session on Technology in the Middle Years because they provided lots of valuable to resources and ideas that I can use, not only if I were a middle years teacher but also ideas that are relevant to the primary grades as well! The following are some of the ideas from the presenters that I liked best and feel like I would use.

Heather Durin
@hdurin 
heatherdurin.com
One thing I thought was so interesting that Heather talked about what the online radio station, 105theHive. I've never heard of this kind of thing before so I think that is why I found it interesting. This is a place where students and teachers can connect! This is a tool that allows students to broadcast their learning and be excited about it! I am so excited about this tool right now that I can't wait to use it. I have actually been listening the last half hour and it is wonderful! This would be great for students to show off their work, also for those band and music students to provide some entertainment live as well! This would also be great for primary grades because there are so many things that could broadcast: poems, songs, a journal entry, etc.

Royan Lee
@royanlee
The Spicy Learning Blog
Something that interested me about Royan was the fact that his classroom was paperless. I remember a while ago on the news there was a high school somewhere in Saskatchewan that was making the change to be a paperless school. While the idea seems a tad frightening it is also SO; exciting at the same time because it is bringing in today's technology along with being environmentally friendly for the most part. I'm not sure how well this would work with primary students because it is so important for them to be able to learn to draw and write and hold a writing tool properly. So for the younger grades, I do not see it being beneficial for being one hundred percent paperless but to for sure have technology be a big part of the classroom. (It IS awesome and beneficial for middle years, I bet they love it!)

Clarence Fisher
@glassbeed
Remote Access
I found it interesting that Clarence talked about differentiation and technology and said that students won't always be motivated by the same tools. This is something I never really had thought about before. Just like teachers differentiate learning all around the classroom, it is important to differentiate the tools the students use and how they use them. I am now aware of the differing technology needs for all students and have definitely put much more thought into this. 

The presenters were great and all shared many valuable ideas for us to use in our future classrooms! It's too bad I wasn't able to attend this session live and connect with them live as I was working. It is great that I am able to follow these educators on Twitter to be able to connect whenever I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment