Wednesday, August 20, 2014

LAST WEEK IN MELBOURNE AND COMING HOME

It's never easy leaving a place, especially one that you call home. The transition from living in Melbourne to living back in Saskatchewan has be tough for me. For most of July, I travelled to the Outback and more of the East Coast. It's funny when I meet people, often the initial conversation revolves around where 'home' is for everyone. I would have never guessed that I would struggle to answer this question, but I did. After a year of living in Melbourne, I can't help but consider it my home although I would never leave Canada out of the conversation. 

Maybe you're wondering, what made Melbourne home and why was it hard to part with? You see, the strange things about clichés is that they are often clichés for a reason; they either work or are completely true. Here's my cliché: Home is where the heart it. Where family is. You name it. Melbourne is my home because of this. My family was there. My heart was there. 

Sure, I miss the pace of the city, the fact that no one knew my name or could recognize me. I miss Bourke Street filled with buskers, lane-way short cuts and cute cafes. I miss being able to sit on my balcony and admire the sunrise or the city night lights. I miss my independence and freedom which I gratefully admired and exhausted in my time away. But, in our year together, Jenna and Eric, have become my family and they are solely what I miss most about living in Melbourne. 

Possibly the worst thing about being home is that nothing has changed. While I've gone off, explored many gorgeous parts of the world, made a life in Melbourne, changed the way I thought of certain things, grown as an individual and began my first teaching career, I came home only to find that everything is familiar and in a year, has gone unchanged. I reckon that was my biggest disappointment aside from the fact that no one here can truly relate to my experiences, the feelings I've felt or my love for adventure.

Our last week in  Melbourne as a family was possibly one of the best weeks we had. We took in the beauty of our city, ate out, went to a musical, went to our last Woodlock show, admired the talent on Bourke Street and hung out with all our mates! Here's a video with a few clips that showcase what we were up to. I miss Melbourne and my mates!



Cheers,
x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment