Wednesday, June 17, 2015

STILL WE'VE GOT US!

Two years ago, I flew across the globe to move to Australia. I sat on the plane for some sixteen hours in a combination of reading a book, sleeping and letting the man sitting next to me out of the row. I was excited. I was nervous. I left everything I knew behind, filled a suitcase full of clothes and set off to a new life in a new world. And I did it all alone. 

It's funny how things just work out sometimes. I was getting settled into my new apartment and had gone to a meeting about my teaching job. The others who had flown with me knew there was someone else from Canada in our same position. We wanted to meet her. We didn't know who she was, what she looked like, we just knew she was somewhere within the Melbourne CBD and by chance, we obtained her phone number!

The three of us went to some BBQ joint and had invited her along. Every time someone walked into the shop, I played the game of 'is that her?' in my mind. Soon enough, she did show up and we all enjoyed a BBQ feast followed by a super dodgy non-karaoke karaoke bar in Chinatown..haha! The four of us were now friends. 


As a few days go on, we are all getting more familiar with each other. We all bonded over some wine before going out for a walk. I made up this goofy dance walk, called it prancercise and demanded that it be done whenever crossing the street. 

As our friendship grew, so did the prancercising. Everyone we ever met knew about the prancercising. Sure, it is ridiculous, but it is always funny to us and everyone always wanted to get in on it once we started! 

I won't get into every detail of our friendship because that would clearly take ages. The purpose of my writing is that in a city of four million people, I found my best friend. We were only a short walk away and, for a year had seen each other nearly every day. Now, we are miles apart living in different places in Canada. On my sixteen some hour plane ride home, I wasn't alone, I now had so many friends and people I consider family. Most importantly, I had my prancercising buddy! Through all our adventures and all of our miles apart, still we've got us! 

Over the Easter break, I met up with my darling best friend and we headed to Vancouver, to do what we do best. Explore and prancercise! It was the best time and a much needed vacation! As always, we made a video to document our excitement. This is something that we enjoy making and we love, love looking back on the memories! We may be a little foolish and crazy, but that's us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment