Monday, April 22, 2013

Paper Work - Ick!

This past week and a half I have been keeping busy with getting everything ready (try to anyway) for Australia. 

If you didn't know, I am moving to Australia mid-July for a year where I will be teaching, travelling and having a marvellous amount of fun! I will be living, for the most part, in Melbourne, which is a massive city holding more than four million people! Wow! I couldn't be more excited, but with moving to a foreign country comes a lot of paper work and frustration. 

Last week I got all the requirements sent to me that I needed to complete. Get a RCMP finger print criminal record check, get my Visa application sent in and get my Victoria Institute of Teaching (VIT) documents together. Well, the finger printing was a breeze, although it left quite a mark on my credit card! Next, I completed the Visa Application online, which took a while as I was VERY SUPER careful to answer each question carefully and reread everything over FIVE times. Still, they sent me back an email which stated I needed a health assessment. THIS WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN! Totally threw me off, but I thought about it through the weekend and finally today I accepted that I needed one and made an appointment with the only qualified physician in Saskatchewan - In Saskatoon! Not only would this be a three hour drive but it also would cost me THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTY THREE DOLLARS! WHAT?! So today, I was a little frustrated and a lot worried about how I would pay for this appointment. When I got home from work, I called the lady who is taking me to Australia, she said that there is no way I would need to get a health assessment  so I searched the Visa website. IT WAS TRUE! According to the requirements set out by the Australian Migration Law, there was no way I needed a health assessment! (It pays to do your research!) I politely emailed the immigration officer back and within two hours she replied saying she had made a mistake and I really didn't need a health assessment. I sure hope that doesn't happen often, those mistakes, because those are expensive mistakes to be making!

Now that all that confusion is out of the way, I am now able to continue with more paper work on my day off tomorrow! It looks like I will be working a lot with my scanner and making copies of all the documents that are required by the VIT. Once this paper work is out of my way, I will be even more excited to go to Australia, this paper work is boggin' me down!  

No comments:

Post a Comment